Front page
Archive
Silflay Hraka?


Bigwig is a systems administrator at a public university
Hrairoo is the proprietor of a quality used bookstore
Kehaar is the head web developer for a regional newspaper
Woundwort is a professor of counseling at a private university

The Hraka RSS feed

Email
bigwig AT nc.rr.com

Friends of Hraka
InstaPundit
Daily Pundit
cut on the bias
Meryl Yourish
This Blog Is Full Of Crap
Winds of Change
A Small Victory
Silent Running
Dr. Weevil
Little Green Footballs
ColdFury
Oceanguy
Fragments from Floyd
VodkaPundit
Allah
The Feces Flinging Monkey
Coyote at the Dog Show
Dean's World
Little Tiny Lies
The Redsugar Muse
Sperari
Natalie Solent
From the Mrs.
ErosBlog
The Anti-Idiotarian Rottweiler
On the Third Hand
Public Nuisance
Not a Fish
Rantburg
AMCGLTD
WeckUpToThees!
Electric Venom
Skippy, The Bush Kangaroo
Common Sense and Wonder
Neither Here Nor There
Wizbang!
Bogieblog
ObscuroRant
RocketJones
The Greatest Jeneration
Ravenwolf
Ipse Dixit
TarHeelPundit
Blog On the Run
blogatron
Redwood Dragon
Notables
Greeblie Blog
Have A Cuppa Tea
A Dog's Life
IMAO
Zonitics.com
Iberian Notes
Midwest Conservative Journal
A Voyage to Arcturus
HokiePundit
Trojan Horseshoes
In Context
dcthornton.blog
The People's Republic of Seabrook
Country Store
Blog Critics
Chicago Boyz
Hippy Hill News
Kyle Still Free Press
The Devil's Excrement
The Fat Guy
War Liberal
Assume the Position
Balloon Juice
Iron Pen In A Velvet Glove
IsraPundit
Freedom Lives
Where Worlds Collide
Knot by Numbers
How Appealing
South Knox Bubba
Heretical Ideas
The Kitchen Cabinet
Dustbury.com
tonecluster
Bo Cowgill
mtpolitics.net
Raving Atheist
The Short Strange Trip
Shark Blog
Hoplites
Jimspot
Ron Bailey's Weblog
Cornfield Commentary
Testify!
Northwest Notes
pseudorandom
The Blog from the Core
Ain'tNoBadDude
CroMagnon
The Talking Dog
WTF Is It Now??
Blue Streak
Smarter Harper's Index
nikita demosthenes
Bloviating Inanities
Sneakeasy's Joint
Ravenwood's Universe
The Eleven Day Empire
World Wide Rant
All American
Pdawwg
The Rant
The Johnny Bacardi Show
The Head Heeb
Viking Pundit
Mercurial
Oscar Jr. Was Here
Just Some Poor Schmuck
Katy & Bruce Loebrich
But How's The Coffee?
Roscoe Ellis
Foolsblog
Sasha Castel
Dodgeblogium
Susskins Central Dispatch
DoggerelPundit
Josh Heit
Attaboy
Aaron's Rantblog
MojoMark
As I was saying...
Blog O' Dob
Dr. Frank's Blogs Of War
Betsy's Page
A Knob for Brightness
Fresh Bilge
The Politburo Diktat
Drumwaster's rants
Curt's Page
The Razor
An Unsealed Room
The Legal Bean
Helloooo chapter two!
As I Was Saying...
SkeptiLog AGOG!
Tong family blog
Vox Beth
Velociblog
I was thinking
Judicious Asininity
This Woman's Work
Fragrant Lotus
DaGoddess
Single Southern Guy
Caerdroia
GrahamLester.Com
Jay Solo's Verbosity
TacJammer
Snooze Button Dreams
Horologium
You Big Mouth, You!
From the Inside looking Out
Night of the Lepus
No Watermelons Allowed
From The Inside Looking Out
Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics
Suburban Blight
Aimless
The SmarterCop
Dog of Flanders
From Behind the Wall of Sleep
Beaker's Corner
Bad State of Gruntledness
Who Tends The Fires
Granny Rant
Elegance Against Ignorance
Moxie.nu
Eccentricity
Say What?
Blown Fuse
Wait 'til Next Year
The Pryhills
The Whomping Willow
The National Debate
The Skeptician
Zach Everson
MonkeyWatch
Geekward Ho
Argghhh!!!
Life in New Orleans
Rotten Miracles
Fringe
The Biomes Blog
illinigirl
See What You Share
Truthprobe
Blog d’Elisson
Your Philosophy Sucks
Watauga Rambler
Socialized Medicine
Consternations
Verging on Pertinence

December 12, 2003

Election Thoughts

Will the real Democratic nominee please stand up? The election is still almost a year away and I'm tired of it already. It would be naive to think that Howard Dean is not the front-runner in the Democratic party, but I'm not sold on him yet. Still, I can not place my finger on what is holding up my support of him (those who are Republicans can save your nasty comments). As is typical with most elections, it is the small stuff that bothers me. Perhaps it is that I don't feel he has really separated himself from the other candidates in any significant manner, other than gaining the support of Gore. Further, it may be just that I couldn't stand watching him mouth the words, "Thank you, thank you," as the crowd exploded into applause as Gore tried to appear passionate about the man. I'm not sure what I wanted to see, but those "Thank you's" appear so fake and full of self-love that Gore's support actually may have turned me off from the man.

Something about Clark still commands my attention, but that may be just because of his background in the military and I do admire anyone who willingly puts themselves in the armed services, even if it is just because some of them are lost, racist souls who will go on to murder their wives.

Admittedly, I am looking for a replacement for George Bush, but so far, that person has not jumped out at me. I can quickly mark off the list Sharpton, Braun, Gephardt, Kerry, and Kucinich, because each day they continue in the race is just another day of them choosing to live in a fantasy land, hoping that the Election Elves will start a grass-roots movement to vote them into office. Remember guys, "Do not pay attention to the man behind the curtain!!!" Lieberman doesn't stand a chance either so he is gone as well. I like John Edwards, but that is probably due in large part from the fact that he is from NC and I am somewhat familiar with him, but I also think he would stand a better chance of winning the lottery than becoming president. So, that leaves Dean and Clark, neither of whom I am 100% supporting.

More than anything, I would like to see a candidate who takes the high road during the election, but that is not likely to happen anytime soon. Partisan politics are too strong, and while some criticism of Bush is bound to occur, I am more interested in how the candidates will handle the position than I am in hearing over and over how much they dispise Bush. However, it is early, and I imagine the real mud-flinging has yet to begin.

UPDATE: Here is a link to what I was referring to about soldiers in the post.

Posted by Woundwort at December 12, 2003 11:02 AM | TrackBack
Postscript:
First time visitor to House Hraka? Wondering if everything we produce could possibly be as brilliant/stupid/evil/pedantic/insipid/inspired as the post you just read? Check out the Hraka Essentials, the (mostly) reader-selected guide to Hraka's best posts, and decide for yourself.
Comments

> because [some military folk] are lost, racist souls who will go on to murder their wives.

And this makes them different from, say, professors of counseling.

Posted by: Andy Freeman at December 12, 2003 11:20 AM

Oh yes, counselors may be the first people to snap under pressure, no denials of that to be found here. I was simply referring to the stories coming out of Fort Bragg in the last year or so of the returning soldiers who killed their wives. It's just that this year, no counselors are running for the office of the President of the United States, so the fact that they snap is of no significance.

Posted by: Woundwort at December 12, 2003 11:41 AM

The killings aren't really surprising. After a couple long deployments with tactical units, I returned stateside, only to have my units quickly broken up. You get really tight with people, you see incredibly bad and violent things, and you realize how easy it is to kill, or to get killed. Human life gets devalued, and the first couple months after you are back around civilization, your standards aren't quite readjusted, or perhaps your expectations of how good civilization is supposed to be aren't met. As a result, casual violence and a nihilistic attitude are pretty common. I saw guys get into gun fights over who would get to wash their car first at the local wash point. It happens. That's what humans do.

As for you waiting to hear something from the Dems other than how much they hate Bush... well, there's lots of good stuff. They are in consensus on (1) nationalizing health care; (2) raising taxes on the rich, i.e. everybody earning around $50k or more; (3) bringing the troops home from Iraq and Afghanistan immediately, or something like it; (4) getting tough on Saudi by raising SUV mileage standards; (5) fixing the economy by putting a stop to foreign imports; and (6) putting the Kibosh on the missile defense system just as Iran and North Korea upgrade their nuke and missile programs.

That sounds like a pretty coherent position to me. Other than crazy ass Dennis Kucinich, professional race baiter Al Sharpton, and dictator hugger (literally) Carol Moseley Braun, I don't see how you could possibly be upset with your choices. If those positions fit your politics, you should be rejoicing. There's no possibility the Dems will nominate somebody who disagrees with you.

And if you really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, hate Bush, well, then you can have that too.

Oh, and by the way, I can't remember whether I saw it on Winds of Change or Insty, but Wes Clarke has said he'd give the Europeans "right of first refusal" on U.S. foreign policy positions.

Like I said, no matter what your flavor of politics, if you're left of center, you can't lose with any of the Dems.

Posted by: Blackavar at December 12, 2003 10:36 PM

> I was simply referring to the stories coming out of Fort Bragg in the last year or so of the returning soldiers who killed their wives.

So? Why not include stories about cops, truckers, etc who kill their wives?

> It's just that this year, no counselors are running for the office of the President of the United States, so the fact that they snap is of no significance.

That's one answer - Woundwort is suggesting that Clark's wife in more danger than the wives of some of the other candidates.

I'd love to hear more because I didn't know "likely to kill his wife" distinguishes the candidates.

Posted by: Andy Freeman at December 13, 2003 02:18 PM

Andy, your ability to make something out of nothing is amazing. That is neither what I was saying or what I was implying. I'm so sorry that I was making a joke (if only for myself), perhaps from now on I should include an asterisk noting (Andy, I don't really think all military people are killers) just so you will understand. You just don't get it, but you damn sure love making up dumb shit to write in these comments that have nothing to do with what I am saying.

Last time you tried to bash me for not liking Bush, now you are trying to bash me for dumping on the Dems. Make up your mind or just don't write anymore.

Posted by: Woundwort at December 13, 2003 08:33 PM

> so sorry that I was making a joke

Woundwort's first explanation, that it was relevant because Clark is running for president was better. (If you're going to argue that someone didn't get a "joke", you go with that first. Otherwise it looks like "that didn't work, let's try something else".)

> Last time you tried to bash me for not liking Bush, now you are trying to bash me for dumping on the Dems.

0 for 2. I didn't object to disliking Bush - I dislike him - I pointed out that "Bush is bad" doesn't imply "vote Dem". This time, I wrote only about the quip about murderous soldiers - no mention of Dems or Woundwort's position wrt them.

Posted by: Andy Freeman at December 14, 2003 04:39 PM

Your posts reads like Charlie Brown's teacher, Whah, Whah, Whah. Again I see you have chosen to write about me in the third person as well. That is just as strange as it was the first few times you did it. Although this conversation is interesting, I see we are once again quickly moving no where with this.

Your "let's try something else" comment was a good one. Yes, you are so important to me that I would want to change my story time and time again just to earn your respect. You caught me. I guess people who write in the 3rd person about someone they are talking to just mean a lot to me. You got me.

Posted by: Woundwort at December 14, 2003 11:14 PM

Neat trick - instead of addressing whether or not the story was changed, introduce a straw man intention claim.

So, if I stay on topic, Woundwort only hears "whah whah".

How about those Red Sox? It's raining. THe database is denormalized.

Posted by: Andy Freeman at December 17, 2003 01:35 AM

Now you are talking. Yes, the Red Sox are putting together quite the team for next year, just as the Orioles are attempting to do as well. Being a Yankees' fan, it should make the race for next year's pennant an exciting one. The Yankees are being out-Yankeed.

Posted by: Woundwort at December 17, 2003 06:42 AM